September sees six hundred thousand switch
Energy UK’s latest electricity switching figures - published today - reveal that 603,400 customers moved to a new supplier last month - 10% up on September 2018.
This brings the total number of electricity switches to 4,741,454 so far in 2019, up 11% on the same time last year when a record 5.8 million customers switched supplier.
Lawrence Slade, chief executive at Energy UK said:
“Last month alone over 600,000 customers switched – and with over 4.7 million customers moving to a new supplier so far, 2019 is set to be another record year for switching. It is brilliant to see that every month more and more consumers reap the benefits of increased competition.
“Customers, whatever their circumstances, can benefit from checking their tariff so if you’re concerned about your bill going into winter, pick up the phone to your supplier and see if you’re on the best deal - or have a look at what other offers are available in the market.
“Just as importantly consumers can save more on their energy bills by getting a smart meter and making their house more energy efficient, which will also reduce their carbon footprint and help tackle climate change.”
Tel: 0207 747 2959
Notes to Editors
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- The rise in switching figures over last few years has been as follows:
- 2014: 3,196,243
- 2015: 3,835,736
- 2016: 4,822,885
- 2017: 5,543,472
- 2018: 5,878,914
- The switching data is now supplied by Gemserv (starting from September 2018). Gemserv Limited is the service company contracted by the MRA Service Company (MRASCo) to provide services in support of the MRA including the management of its governance and providing specialised expertise to MRASCo in support of the growing electricity retail market. Historical data up to August 2018 was provided by Electralink.
- The data referenced in these reports is for electricity only. These figures include both domestic & non-domestic customers but do not include customers transferred to another supplier as a result of the Supplier of Last Resort process (SOLR).
- Almost 90 per cent of suppliers (by market share) are signatories of the Guarantee. For more information about the Guarantee: www.energyswitchguarantee.com
- These figures do not include internal electricity switching. Such statistics can be found on the Ofgem website.