Nearly 400,000 customers switch in January
Energy UK’s latest electricity switching figures – published today - reveal that nearly 400,000 (382,665) customers switched in January – up 5 percent on January 2018.
2018 was a record year for switching with over 5.8 million - or one in five - customers making a move. Millions of customers will have additionally switched to a better deal with their current supplier.
Lawrence Slade, chief executive of Energy UK, said:
“It is positive to see that consumers continue to engage in the energy market, with nearly 400,000 customers switching last month.
“While it is too soon to tell the impact the price cap and the recent increase from Ofgem reflecting increasing costs, there are still savings to be made. My advice to customers would be to get in touch with your supplier to see if you could be on a better deal. And for those who decide to switch, the Energy Switch Guarantee means customers can feel confident that the switch will be simple, speedy and safe.
“Crucially, the best way for consumers to keep their energy bills down in the long run is by making sure their homes are energy efficient - for example checking that they are well insulated. Using energy more efficiently has saved households £290 a year since 2008 according to the Committee on Climate Change.”
Notes for editors
- To see the latest monthly switching stats, please visit Energy UK’s website.
- The switching data is now supplied by Gemserv (starting from September 2018). Gemserv Limited is the service company contracted by the MRA Service Company (MRASCo) to provide services in support of the MRA including the management of its governance and providing specialised expertise to MRASCo in support of the growing electricity retail market. Historical data up to August 2018 was provided by Electralink.
- The data referenced in these reports is for electricity only. These figures include both domestic & non-domestic customers.
- Almost 90 per cent of suppliers (by market share) are signatories of the Guarantee. For more information about the Guarantee: www.energyswitchguarantee.com
- These figures do not include internal electricity switching. Such statistics can be found on the Ofgem website.